Susan is an amazing life coach. When I sit with her, I feel her genuine compassion and concern towards my situation, yet she is able to use just the right amount of firmness and directness to ask the questions that point me to what my soul is longing to say to me. After a session with Susan, I usually have emotional release and breakthrough and within a very short time, a new layer of my dream is manifested in my world. An incredible gift to this world. My life is forever changed for the better for knowing her. –SM, Yoga Instructor, NC, USA
Challenge and change.
Simply put, my life…and yours…has been about challenge and change. There is no escaping the inevitability of change. From day one we are beings on the move to the next place. We often find it challenging…to our emotions, our bodies, our spirits, and our identities.
Our work is simple…stay in the process and learn all we can. It can feel a little like riding a bucking bull at times. The only way to successfully make it all the way to the buzzer is to hang on, go where the bull..aka life…takes you, and make it a ride worth bragging about.
Student and teacher.
The work I have been given to do in this life adventure is to be a dedicated student and teacher. They go together. There can be no teaching unless we have first put ourselves in the position to be the students. What I am proudest of about my life path is that I have been a passionate…if not always immediately willing…student of the challenges and changes around me.
I offer my clients 6 decades of learning how to ride through all the interesting opportunities life can bring. I have done that learning with children and senior citizens. With public school teachers and international clients. On trails and in Universities. High in trees and on mountain tops. In kitchens and board rooms. Through heart-breaking and life-expanding moments.
Healer and transformational coach.
After many years working with students and teachers in academic settings, I set off at the age of 50 to learn more about ways to help myself and the people around me heal from the emotional wounds of the past. As a coach I am dedicated to helping people move from here to there. In the process, we frequently need to revisit painful events and destructive patterns of the past. Losses that have not been grieved. Hurt feelings that have not been resolved. Resentments that have been left to fester. The more we understand our emotions, the better able we are to clear away the old stuff that keeps us stuck in the past. I have made learning more about healing the deepest wounds of the heart my personal and professional focus for the past decade.
Immersing myself in that work has brought me a greater reverence for every life, a perspective about what it takes to be fully human, and an unshakeable belief that we are all whole and have no need to be fixed. We may, however, need help along the way to acknowledge and express our emotions. To tell our truth. To repair and restore our connections to ourselves, others, and Source.
I help my clients do that by offering a space where they can safely say the things they need to say and feel the things they need to feel so they can move forward in their lives with greater clarity, personal power, and love.
- Ph.D. Science Education, 1987, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
- B.S. Microbiology (with teaching certification), 1978, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
Selected Professional Experiences
- Coaching and Consulting businesses, June 2006 – Present
- Online Instructor for the College of Arts and Sciences Online Programs and Environmental Studies, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, May 2012 – present
- Authored, The Five Tibetans Yoga Workshop: Tone Your Body and Transform Your Life, Findhorn Press, 2014
- Founder, Superintendent, and Co-Director, Community Partners Charter High School, Holly Springs, NC, August 1999 –July 2003
- Assistant/Associate Professor, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, August 1992 – May 2000
- Science Teacher, 1978-1992
Selected Training and Continuing Education
- Coaches’ Training, Great Story Mastery Program, Lucid Living, August 2016-
- Coaches’ Training, Great Story Coaching Program, Lucid Living, September 2015 – May 2016
- Karuna Reiki Master’s Training, Reiki Training Centre, Burghead, Scotland, December 2012
- Usui/Tibetan Reiki Master/Teacher Apprenticeship and Certification, Reiki Training Centre, Burghead, Scotland, October – December 2011
- High & Low Ropes Facilitator’s Training, National Whitewater Center, Charlotte, NC, November 2007
- High & Low Ropes Certification, The Next Level, Sebastopol, CA, January 2007
- Coaches Training Institute Leadership Program, Sebastopol, CA, September 2006 – June 2007
- Coaches Training Institute Core Coaching Courses, Washington, DC, June – September 2006
- Counseling courses, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, January 2005 – May 2006 (Theories and Techniques of Counseling, Career Development, Agency and Community)